Knowing the importance of steel in infrastructure lets you have a deep understanding of a material widely used these days. Modern construction has paved its way to utilize the benefits brought about by steel structures. By its composition, steel is an alloy of iron and carbon. Combining iron and carbon with a few other elements brings about steel. In today’s engineering and construction life, steel is undoubtedly one, if not the most, important material widely used in construction, appliances, vehicles, and several other products.
Let us answer common questions you may have in mind:
What is Structural Steel?
It is steel explicitly shaped for construction use with about 2.1% of carbon content. It is now considered a predominant material because of its known components enabling it to adapt more while being cost-effective. It is known to be perdurable and robust.
What is a steel structure building? It is a building made from fabricated steel. The steel provides internal support and external cladding in any construction.
What Are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Steel As A Structural Material?
- Steel structures are reliable. Because of its natural properties, it is consistent and uniform. Hence, it can surely satisfy the design formula of any project.
- Steel structures are durable. It can withstand all kinds of harsh weather like earthquakes, thunderstorms, and other natural calamities. If these are maintained well, the design can last for several decades.
- Steel structures are sustainable and recyclable. Steel is the best choice for environmentally-conscious projects. Even when the steels are recycled, their quality and durability were not affected.
- Steel structures are flexible. Without reducing its beneficial natural properties, it is not difficult to fabricate steel. Steel is very flexible, meaning you can manipulate it into any desired shape.
- Steel structures are lightweight. It is easy to install and almost hassle-free! With its quick assembly, once complete, you can fill it in no time. Thus, it makes the structures more economical.
- Steel structures can stand harsh weather, insects, and pests with their natural properties. Unlike wood, they are not affected by fungi, mold, termites, or bugs. It is also unreceptive to rust.
- Steel structures cost less when compared to other materials. It also requires less maintenance than other materials.
- Steel structures are great for projects with temporary construction. They can be easily disassembled and reassembled.
With the advantages mentioned above, steel has its downside:
Despite its downsides, structural steel benefits the construction project more. Notwithstanding the possible additional costs in anti-corrosion and fireproof treatments, it can still be considered cost-effective by looking at its initial price, including reduced façade system and general condition costs. Likewise, since structural steel is fabricated off-site, these are indeed done in controlled conditions. Doing this ensures high-quality products and prevents on-site fixes. Further, when delivered just as scheduled, it adjusts the overall construction schedule positively.
- Though steel structures are susceptible to corrosion due to being an alloy of iron, the professionals may use an anti-corrosion application. Costly paints are also needed.
- As these are not fireproof, there could be an extra cost for fireproofing.
- Buckling becomes an issue when the steel segment builds up.
- Steels are available at their steel plants only; thus, these are not readily available, unlike other materials.
Each project has its aesthetic requirements, and the beauty of the steel structure is effortless. It can fit any irregular building shapes creating beautiful effects on its façade. This maneuverability likewise allows bigger open spaces without hindrances from its support columns. This way, the architects have greater flexibility on the structural design. Time and safety are also two significant structural steel benefits. With quick and easy assembly, it reduces interference with buildings and roads. When construction time becomes shorter, return on investment will come earlier, and charges lessened.
Should you need further information on structural steel services, you may reach Flawless Steel Welding. We provide a wide array of services, including steel fabrication, general welding, crane service, sandblasting, and many others. We are a team of skilled individuals coupled with advanced machinery producing only efficient structural steel services. If you need metal fabrication in Colorado Springs, call us!