Before any surface is coated, it needs to be sandblasted first. If you need to have high-quality surface cleaning done, sandblasting is the way to go. Sandblasting is the process of shaping, stripping, and smoothing the surface of a metal to bring out an even surface. You may consider it as high-powered sandpaper.
If you want to learn how to sandblast and the entire sandblasting procedure, you’ve come to the right place.
What is Sandblasting?
Sandblasting, sometimes called abrasive blasting, is an advanced process of surface preparation used to clean and smoothen out any construction material. Professionals can also use it to remove old paint from a wall and prepare the surface for fresh paint.
Materials Fit for Sandblasting
- Concrete: Concrete fixtures can be sandblasted to come up with the desired surface during construction. You can sandblast a space in your driveway to make room for your car or give your motorcycle parking space.
- Wood: When applied to wooden surfaces, old paint tends to peel off after an extended period. To prevent this from happening, you can use sandblasting to give your wood a clean finish, preserving the paint longer.
- Cast iron: Like wood, paint applied to cast irons tends to chip and peel easily. You can also smoothen the surface with sandblasting to make the paint last longer.
- Bricks: If you sandblast your bricks, you can help preserve their quality and keep them looking as good as new for many years.
Sandblasting is one of the most common and effective ways to prepare and clean dirt from any surface. Here are the steps of sandblasting:
- Identify what type of material needs cleaning to know what kind of sandblasting equipment you need for the job.
- Prepare the surface and the surrounding area. Cover or remove anything that you don’t need during sandblasting.
- Start sandblasting the surface with the proper equipment and clean the area afterward.
Advantages of Sandblasting
Sandblasting is usually a part of the finishing touches to a construction project. Here are the benefits of sandblasting a surface before coating:
It Cleans the Surface
Sandblasting is an essential part of the finishing process because it cleans and smoothens the surface of an object. It is one of the best ways to remove rust, oil, and other toxic contaminants from any surface.
It is Easy and Fast
With sandblasting, you can clean and smoothen any surface quickly and effectively. Surfaces like metal and concrete don’t require much effort as long as you are using sandblasting equipment.
It Removes Old Paint
Do you want to clean a surface that has old paint all over it? Sandblasting is the easiest way to remove it immediately. This process will prepare the surface for a new coat of paint in no time.
Disadvantages of Sandblasting
As much as it makes the finishing touches easier, sandblasting also has disadvantages, such as:
- Without proper care or professional expertise, anyone can damage a surface after sandblasting.
- It can generate static electricity and heat that might cause fires.
Types of Sandblasting
With different surfaces that need to be cleaned, straightened, and buffed out, there are also other types of sandblasting:
- Silica Sand: Also known as silicon dioxide, sandblasting is used for shearing and scraping a surface. It removes the impurities of a surface by eliminating sharp edges to bring out a cleaner look.
- Soda Sandblasting: Professionals can use soda sandblasting if they want the most effective result without damaging any surface layer. It is known for keeping the outer layer of any soft metal safe and free from any damage. Anyone can use it to remove dust from aluminum-type surfaces.
- Steel Sandblasting: This sandblasting can be used to blast or scrape a surface. The steel is used as a cutting material to clean any type of corrosion or rust from hard surfaces like pure metal. It can cut thick surfaces rapidly.
- Glass Beads: Using glass beads is the most environmentally safe way of sandblasting. It can be used in different areas to remove dirt and surface imperfections such as scales, rust, and oil.
Sandblasting is the most common way to prepare any given surface for the finishing touch of a construction project. If you plan to have it done for your project, it is best to hire a professional or look for sandblasting companies to do it for you. Not only will your project be done faster, but the surface will also come out cleaner than when you do it by yourself.
If you need a sandblasting service or steel fabrication in Boulder for your property, Flawless Steel Welding will get it done for you without any fuss or damage. We can handle different surfaces, may it be concrete, steel, or wood, our professionals will use the right equipment for the job. Visit our website for more information or contact us now!